Monday, October 4, 2010

Refrigerator Bran Muffins

BRAN, when I think of that word it just sounds dry and boring doesn't it? I actually had never, ever tried a bran muffin until I made this recipe. There are three great things that I love about this recipe. First you can keep the batter in your fridge for up to 3 weeks so I can make as much or as little as I want and second they taste great and are nice and moist and third they are good for you. Enjoy!

I like mine with honey Mmmmmmm

REFRIGERATOR BRAN MUFFINS
yields 24 muffins

3 Cups Whole Bran Cereal *I used Kellogg’s All Bran Original

1 cup boiling water

1/2 cup shortening

2 cups buttermilk * or 2 tablespoons of lemon juice or white vinegar plus enough milk to measure 2 cups

2 beaten eggs

2 1/2 cups flour

1 cup sugar

1- 1/2 tsp. Baking Powder

1- 1/2 tsp. Baking Soda

1 tsp. Salt

DIRECTIONS:

Combine cereal, shortening and boiling water and stir until shortening has melted, and cereal has softened. Add buttermilk and eggs – mix well. Stir in remaining ingredients all at once to cereal mixture – stirring just until combined. (You can also use your hand mixer, just don’t over beat!) Store batter in tightly covered container up to 3 weeks in the Refrigerator. When ready to bake, fill greased or paper lined tins – 3/4 full. Bake at 375 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden and done through. Serve with butter, jam, or honey!

Recipe adapted from Get Off Your Butt and Bake!

I have made them a few times and started to experiment by adding chocolate chips, craisins or even raisins would work also.

No comments: